by Shweta K From India
Thank you got this website it\’s a lot of help as my husband, baby and I are traveling to Australia from India. We will reach Brisbane on the 1st January, will there be anything open at all on the 1st? What can one do on that day? Please suggest as we don\’t want to waste the day sitting in our hotel room. Thank you,Shweta
1 January is New Year\’s Day in Australia, which is a public holiday. Many Australians choose to spend this day with family and friends, usually getting out and about on the water, river or at parks having picnics or Barbeques.There are many places that are still open, as it is our peak summer tourist season. Some attractions may be closed, but in general most tourist attractions still operate on New Years Day. Some of the ones that say they will be open include the Gold Coast theme parks, Alma Park Zoo, Australia Zoo, Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary and the Science Centre in South Bank. If you prefer you can head outdoors to enjoy the summer weather. In South Bank Parklands, South Brisbane, there is the beach area which is open year round for anyone to go to. In the same area there are museums and art galleries, and whilst I do not know what times they will be open, they usually are.Other options are to go for a walk through our Botanical Gardens, either in the city or over at Mount Coo-Tha or enjoy the panoramic view from the top of Mount Coo-Tha.Airport trains still run on New Years Day and although the service may not be as frequent as normal days. Bus services run, but again will not be running a full service.Some shops may be open, especially in the larger shopping centres as it is a big Sale time in Australia. We usually find details of which shops are open and when closer to the time.What time do you arrive on the 1st? Do you have your transport arranged from the airport to your accommodation? Are you staying in the city? What sort of thing would you like to do?
If you need any more information, please leave a comment below or use the contact form.
Hope this was helpful,Cheers
Annie from Brisbane Australia Travel Tips
PS:: Keep up to date with what is happening in and around Brisbane follow our Facebook: Brisbane-Australia-Travel-Tips
More Planning Resources For Brisbane Holidays
Here\’s some more resources to help you plan your holiday in Brisbane.
Brisbane Australia General Travel Planning Information
There are many reasons to find yourself planning to visit Brisbane Australia – business trip, convention, conference, family holiday, city break, weekend away or stop over in Brisbane.
Planning can be as simple as organising the flights and accommodation and checking out the things to do, or you may want to look at some of resources on this website to help with your Brisbane trip planning.
- Introduction to Brisbane Australia for a birds eye view of what Brisbane has to offer, when and where to visit and a few useful and interesting facts.
- Brisbane Australia Weather Information for a quick run down on our seasons, weather plus tips for what to pack and when are the best times to visit.
- Brisbane Australia Travel Guide gives you lots of traveller information that you can easily access, including information about timezone, transport options, electricity, currency, tipping and other customs.
- Brisbane Airport guide with information about flights, transport, transfers, car hire, airport hotels and more.
- Brisbane\’s main attractions, sightseeing, tours, cruises and activities.
- Brisbane Accommodation Guide helps narrow down the search to find where to stay and suitable accommodation including a hotel guide, backpacker information and serviced apartment options (great for families or longer stays).
Not Found What You Are Looking For In Brisbane Australia?
Not quite what found what you were looking for? Make sure you are very specific with what you are searching for. For example: Queensland Maritime Museum should help narrow the search with suggestions from Brisbane Australia Travel Tips.
Simply type in what you are looking and click Search.